Friday, September 16, 2011

YOUTUBE.

URL of the Year
There's something about YouTube that's kind of like a dad. From teaching you the ABC's to helping you grasp the birds and the bees, this website is always there to lend some parental advice. I'll never forget the first time my virtual father came to my aid. 

It was my sophomore year of undergrad and I had to give a speech in front of the 50+ coeds in my MGMT 101 class (many of which were hot sorority girls). As if my nerves weren't wracked enough, I had to deliver my classroom address dressed to the nines. Being a life-long heathen and a Myrtle Beach native, the nicest clothes I owned were two-toned golf cleats and a polo. When it came to a suit and tie, I was shit out of luck.

A couple days before the big speech, I perused the sales rack of my local Belk and purchased some inexpensive and ill-fitting business attire. My wardrobe dilemma was solved (aside from the fact that I looked like a little boy wearing daddy's jacket), but one problem remained. What in the hell was I supposed to do with that satin noose? 

For the record, my family isn't THAT "country." My dad wore a suit to work almost everyday, and he even taught me how to tie a Double Windsor when I was a wee-little boy. Unfortunately, I had lost that knowledge about as fast as I broke the D.A.R.E. pledge. 

After failing to remember that childhood lesson and leaving a frantic message on my father's cellphone, I had reached the end of my rope. As I hung the shiny lasso from the ceiling and prepared to kick the chair (slight exaggeration), I had an epiphany. "I'll ask YouTube!"

"How do you tie a tie?" I typed.

"," YouTube responded.

"I love you, YouTube!" I shouted while embracing the screen, my perfectly-knotted tie draping over the keys.


From that moment on, YouTube became my dad away from dad.

"How do I adjust a metal watch band?"

","YouTube responded. 
"How do I check my oil?"

","YouTube responded.
 "How do I know if a girl has an STD?"

","YouTube responded.

Like a dependable parent, Youtube knows the cure for all of life's little nuisances. But its helpfulness isn't limited to step-by-step instructions. You can also count on this comforting website for a frown-flipping smile,


a gut-busting laugh,


and a supportive pat on the back when you make a total ass out of yourself.


By no means am I suggesting that YouTube is superior to an actively-involved parent. I'm just acknowledging the fact that a mother or father can't always be there for you. With wireless internet and the advent of smartphones, YouTube can. 

How has YouTube come through for you?

8 comments:

  1. Love love love. I miss playing Wii tennis against you. And just you in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use fail videos as teaching tools with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a lot of Wii tennis partners in my day. Which one are you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll give you one hint. I'm shorter than Verne Troyer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MIDGEY!!! When did we play Wii Tennis?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wii Tennis very easily could have been DDR. ..those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are the days, I long to forget. Just kidding, Jackson! But I am going to disown you if you don't "like" my blog's facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. shut your whore face - I'll do no such thing.

    ReplyDelete